Caring Homes are delighted to announce that Brook House Care Home, won ‘Best Innovation and Environmental’ in the prestigious Pinders 2022 Healthcare Design Awards, hosted at The Royal Lancaster London Hotel on 16th March.
The citation from Jon Chapman, Director at Pinders about Brook House reads, “Careful orientation and positioning of the buildings and the use of large windows helps to maximise natural daylight and minimise energy consumption within this 53-bed care home. Heating and ventilation were optimised via a thermal model, with cross-ventilation reducing the reliance on mechanical cooling systems, whilst water usage has been reduced through continual pulsed monitoring. A single integrated App coordinates care plans, activities, and unobtrusive monitoring, whilst personalised fobs trigger illuminated door surrounds as each resident approaches their own bedroom, aiding recognition, navigation, and independence. The innovative stable-door design allows the resident to control the privacy of their bedroom space whilst still being involved with what is going on outside.”
Situated near the centre of the market town of Towcester, Brook House opened in October 2020 and is designed around the needs of its residents. The home provides the highest level of residential, dementia and nursing care, as well as respite and convalescent care, for up to 53 residents.
Whilst architectural standards and innovation are key factors, the overriding test for any project is the degree to which it has recognised the needs and preferences of the residents and incorporated these into the final design.
Brook House is a home for all, providing the highest level of care, design, and environment. The design team worked closely with the Operations team to develop a design that creates the best possible home environment with the assurance of excellent care through high quality design that makes staffing efficient.
Working with architects Pozzoni, our overriding design philosophy was to provide a home to ensure residents have the highest quality of life and this is achieved through four key elements – care, light, the environment, and the continuous interaction between external and internal spaces.
The layout of our home encourages external community involvement, which is essential as a stimulating interaction for residents. At Brook House Care Home we have created a home that promotes a safe environment through clever technology without making our residents feel there are any restrictions, helping them maintain a level of independence and respecting their dignity.
Innovation and environmental features include:
• The door operates in tandem with a wireless communication device worn by the resident. Specifically designed to benefit resident living with dementia and early onset dementia.
• When a resident approaches their own room, the door illuminates and unlocks. Helps to prompt the resident that they have arrived at their room.
• The door arrangement allows for security and visibility.
• All rooms throughout the home have acoustic monitoring which can be specifically set for individual resident’s needs.
• Accompanying CCTV – this is only operational with the express permission of the resident and their families.
• Passive Infrared Detectors provide inobtrusive remote supervision of the residents.
• Individually programmed for each resident’s level of support.
• Helps to maintain independence and respecting our resident’s privacy and dignity.
• Promote engagement and interaction between residents and the care team.
• Foster a sense of community – reduces the sense of things happening behind closed doors.
• Open corridor junctions which increase visibility and sense of space. Creates a communal focal point.
Caring Homes Group Managing Director, Tracey Fletcher-Ray said, “We are delighted to have won ‘Best Innovation and Environmental’ at the prestigious 2022 Pinders Healthcare Design Awards. At Caring Homes, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional care in the best possible surroundings with a focus on person centred care, clinical excellence, and family values. To have Brook House Care Home recognised within the care industry in this way is a wonderful achievement.”
Brook House Care Home is one of the newest additions to the Caring Homes family, which now comprises of 69 homes nationally. We are welcoming new residents and their families safely.