Funding the cost of care

A guide to obtaining the funding for residential care placements

The way care and support services are funded in the UK is constantly changing, with £72k lifetime caps and more generous upper limits for means testing set to come in from April 2020. Going into care can already be a stressful process, making a clear approach more important than ever.

View guide

The current quality of care homes in England

Insights from Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspections

View guide

Care home checklist

Use our checklist when you visit care homes to help you make an informed choice.

View guide


In England, if you are unable to pay for your care, the NHS or your Local Authority is obliged to pay your fees. Those with capital below £14,250 will usually be entitled to the maximum support available, while those with more than £14,250 but less than £23,250 will be entitled to some financial support. If your assets, which may include your property, are calculated to be above £23,250 you will (in most cases) be expected to privately pay for your own care. You can find out more about who will pay for your care here.

The cost of staying in a care home can vary significantly depending on a range of factors. The location of the chosen home is likely to be important, as will the type of care required. If nursing care is needed, the care home costs are likely to increase. Your personal circumstances may also be a factor so, because everyone is different, the best thing to do is contact your chosen home to find out more about the fees you may have to pay and funding the cost of care.

Depending on where you live and your personal circumstances, you may be entitled to a number of different care funding benefits. This might include Attendance allowance, which is available to people over the age of 65 who require some form of assistance and is not means-tested. If you require Nursing care and live in a care home, but are not eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare, you might be eligible to receive NHS Funded Nursing Care (FNC).